By Amalie L. Frischknecht, Laura J. D. Frink (auth.), Roland Faller, Marjorie L. Longo, Subhash H. Risbud, Thomas Jue (eds.)
HANDBOOK of contemporary BIOPHYSICS
Series Editor Thomas Jue, PhD
Handbook of recent Biophysics brings present biophysics themes into concentration, in order that biology, scientific, engineering, arithmetic, and physical-science scholars or researchers can research basic techniques and the appliance of latest innovations in addressing biomedical demanding situations. Chapters explicate the conceptual framework of the physics formalism and illustrate the biomedical functions. With the addition of challenge units, publications to additional examine, and references, the reader can proceed to discover independently the information presented.
Volume II: Biomembrane Frontiers: Nanostructures, types, and the layout of Life
Editors: Roland Faller, PhD, Thomas Jue, PhD, Marjorie L. Longo, PhD, and Subhash H. Risbud, PhD
In Biomembrane Frontiers: Nanostructures, types, and the layout of Life, well-known researchers have confirmed a origin for the learn of biophysics on the topic of the next topics:
- Perspectives: Complexes in beverages, 1900–2008
- Molecular idea utilized to Lipid Bilayers and Lipid–Protein Interactions
- Membrane Elasticity and Mediated Interactions in Continuum conception: A Differential Geometric Approach
- Structure and Dynamics of Lipid Monolayers: thought and Applications
- Multiscale Modeling of Supported Lipid Bilayers
- Collective Dynamics in Lipid Membranes:
- From Pore Formation to Flip-Flops
- Spatiotemporal association of Spin-Coated Supported version Membranes
- Nanopore research of Nucleic Acids: Single-Molecule
Studies of Molecular Dynamics, constitution, and Base Sequence
- Complex purposes of straightforward FRAP on Membranes
- Punching Holes in Membranes: How Oligomeric
Pore-Forming Proteins and Lipids Cooperate to shape Aqueous Channels in Membranes
- Morphogens, Membranes and Mechanotransduction in Articular Cartilage
- Lifecycle of a Lipoprotein from a Biophysical Perspective
- Targeting Apolipoproteins in Magnetic Resonance Imaging
About the Editors
The editors are across the world well-known biomembrane specialists and feature released largely at the constitution, dynamics, and serve as of version and mobile membranes. Roland Faller is an affiliate Professor and the Joe & Essie Smith Endowed Chair within the division of Chemical Engineering & fabrics technology on the college of California Davis. He develops and makes use of smooth molecular simulation options for gentle condensed topic platforms, fairly biomembranes. Thomas Jue is a Professor within the division of Biochemistry and Molecular medication on the collage of California Davis. He develops and applies magnetic resonance options to review biochemical legislation in vivo. Marjorie L. Longo is a professor within the division of Chemical Engineering and fabrics technological know-how on the collage of California Davis. She applies microscopy options to check floor and delivery houses of lipid bilayers and monolayers. Subhash H. Risbud is the Blacutt-Underwood wonderful Professor of fabrics technological know-how within the division of Chemical Engineering and fabrics technology on the collage of California at Davis and a vacationing Professor at Stanford college. His team develops new fabrics for nano- and biotechnology. The fabrics comprise glasses, ceramics, and nanoporous substrates for organic membranes.
Read or Download Biomembrane frontiers: nanostructures, models, and the design of life PDF
Similar nanotechnology books
Due to the fact that nanotechnology is taken into account a key for the twenty first century, its supplies were assessed via quite a few clinical groups. by means of assembly on the nanoscale, a number of disciplines, from physics through chemistry to biology, from engineering to medication, give a contribution synergetically to the newly created wisdom base and the ensuing technological advances.
In recent times, curiosity within the training and characterization of nanostructured fabrics has grown as a result of their specified homes and capability technological functions. Nanoscale fabrics symbolize a brand new realm of subject and supply frequent percentages for contributions to technological know-how and expertise.
This article treats digital shipping within the regime the place traditional textbook types are not any longer appropriate, together with the impression of digital part coherence, strength quantization and single-electron charging. This moment version is totally up-to-date and elevated, and now includes new chapters on spin electronics and quantum details processing, shipping in inhomogeneous magnetic fields, organic/molecular electronics, and purposes of box impact transistors.
Nanomaterials - buildings with attribute dimensions among 1 and a hundred nm -exhibit numerous precise and tunable chemical and actual houses that experience made engineered nanoparticles crucial parts in an array of rising applied sciences. using nanotechnology is expanding; in spite of the fact that its strength adversarial results on human health and wellbeing aren't good understood.
- Nanostructured Materials
- Carbon nanotubes
- Carbon nanotubes synthesis structure properties and application
- Fluorescence of Supermolecules, Polymers, and Nanosystems
Extra info for Biomembrane frontiers: nanostructures, models, and the design of life
28) 2 i j |r2 r1 |V ij CH 1: MOLECULAR THEORY APPLIED TO LIPID BILAYERS 13 where uij (| r2 r1 |) is a pair potential between two sites, such as the standard Lennard-Jones interaction. Finally, an expression is needed that captures the free energy of bonding the sites together. This expression is based on Wertheim's first-order perturbation theory . It is rather complicated, and so we just give a high-level description of it here. For details, see [71,72,67]. The modified i-SAFT theory treats the chains as a sequence of N tangentially bonded monomers enforced by giving each segment a label and allowing segments to bond exclusively to their specific matching segments.
Note that the changes in S(z) induced by alcohol adsorption are asymmetric (in each leaflet), in that the change is greater in some regions of the bilayer than in others. These changes in the pressure profile could potentially influence the conformational state of intrinsic membrane proteins, and hence provide a nonspecific mechanism for the biological effects of alcohol. 15. Area compressibility modulus as a function of the alcohol concentration in the bulk for ethanol (squares), butanol (diamonds), and hexanol (triangles, inset).
Statistical mechanics of phases, interfaces, and thin films. New York: Wiley-VCH. Evans R. 1979. The nature of the liquid–vapor interface and other topics in the statistical mechanics of non-uniform classical fluids. Adv Phys 28:143–200. Frink LJD, Salinger AG, Sears MP, Weinhold JD, Frischknecht AL. 2002. Numerical challenges in the application of density functional theory to biology and nanotechnology. J Phys Cond Matter 14:12167–12187. Henderson D, ed. 1992. Fundamentals of inhomogeneous fluids.