By Professor (Chair) Randy J Lapolla, Chenglong Huang
Qiang is a Tibeto-Burman language of southwest China, spoken by way of approximately 70,000 Qiang and Tibetan humans in northern Sichuan Province. This publication, the 1st book-length description of the Qiang language in English, comprises not just the reference grammar, but in addition an ethnological review, numerous absolutely analyzed texts (mostly conventional tales) and an annotated thesaurus. The language is verb ultimate, and agglutinative (prefixing and suffixing), with a really complicated phonological procedure and either head-marking and based marking morphology. it will likely be of use to typologists, comparativists, Sino-Tibetanists, anthropologists, and linguists commonly.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Qiang: With Annotated Texts and Glossary PDF
Similar foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
This quantity bargains with linguistic purism in its many realizations. specifically, the articles examine the connection of purism to old prescriptivism (e. g. the impact of grammarians within the seventeenth and 18th centuries), to nationhood (e. g. the instrumentalising of purism within the standardisation of Afrikaans or Luxembourgish), to trendy society (e.
Colloquial Somali Is in particular written by means of an skilled instructor for self-study or type use, the direction provides you with a step by step method of written and spoken Somali. No past wisdom of the language is needed. What makes ColloquialSomali your best option in own language studying? * interactive - plenty of routines for normal perform* transparent - concise grammar notes* sensible - precious vocabulary and pronunciation advisor* whole - together with solution key and detailed reference part.
Uncomplicated Indonesian is designed to supply speedy mastery of contemporary Indonesian, that is spoken by means of greater than 240 million humans. Divided into 28 graded classes, the ebook presents fill-in-the-blank workouts, quizzes, be aware puzzles and question-and-answer practices to augment the educational. huge cultural notes are supplied besides precise tips about etiquette and acceptable cultural habit within the world's greatest Islamic society.
Vaeakau-Taumako, sometimes called Pileni, is a Polynesian Outlier language spoken within the Reef and Duff Islands within the Solomon Islands' Temotu Province. this can be a space of serious linguistic variety and long-standing language touch which has had far-reaching results at the linguistic scenario. traditionally, audio system of Vaeakau-Taumako have been shipbuilders and navigators who made exchange voyages in the course of the quarter, bringing them into consistent touch with audio system of the Reefs-Santa Cruz, Utupua and Vanikoro languages.
- The Royal Inscriptions of Tiglath-pileser III, King of Assyria (744-727 BC) and Shalmaneser V (726-722 BC), Kings of Assyria
- Agreement, Pronominal Clitics and Negation in Tamazight Berber: A Unified Analysis (Continuum Studies In Theoretical Linguistics)
- Webster's French to English Crossword Puzzles: Level 7
- Tuttle Practical Cambodian Dictionary: English-Cambodian Cambodian-English (Tuttle Language Library)
- La lingua latina
Additional info for A Grammar of Qiang: With Annotated Texts and Glossary
Huang (1998:64) counted 836 basic words, and found 444 were monosyllabic and 392 were bisyllabic or polysyllabic. 4 below, and Huang 1998). 19 There is no sense of ‘word’ in the Qiang language (what we would call the sociological word), only /så/ 'sentence'. Other than the word, we recognize the noun phrase, the verb complex, the clause, and the complex sentence as levels of grammatical structure. 4. Phonological processes In this section we will discuss the weakening of initial consonants, stress, vowel harmony and epenthesis.
10) a. ¿å- DIR + t®hå Ædeepﬂ + -Â CAUS > ¿|åt®h˙Â Ædeepenﬂ b. t˙- DIR + watsi Æshortﬂ > t˙w|åtsi Æbecome shortﬂ c. 10b-c) that there is a three-way pattern of stress and vowel form: without any prefix, the first vowel of the root is [a], with an unstressed prefix it is [å], and with a stressed prefix, it is [˙]. In general there is a trochaic pattern of stress,21 which leads to the loss of second syllables in bisyllabic words, but the stress of a particular derived form depends on the number and type of syllables that appear in the particular word, and this effects the realization of the vowels.
There is a speech by the hosting uncles, and the opening of a cask of highland barley wine. There will then be dancing and drinking. As the cask is drunk, hot water is added to the top with a water scoop, and each drinker is expected to drink one scoop’s equivalent of liquor. If the drinker fails to drink the required amount, he or she may be tossed up into the air by the others in the party. Before the couple enter the room where they are to live, two small children (whose parents are both still living) will be sent in to run around and play on the couple’s bed, as a way of blessing the couple to soon have children.